Mormon.org Beta

Friday, October 26, 2012

Joseph of Egypt: Blessings Within Trials


I have recently been studying the old Testament, my goal is to read the entire Old Testament. However, I don’t want to just read it, I want to get something out of it. I have learned a surprising amount of things while only just starting the Book of Exodus.  I would like to discuss one thing that I have learned from my studies.

Joseph was sold into Egypt by His brothers because of their jealousy, because Joseph was loved by His father Jacob.  Joseph being sold into Egypt could have been a negative experience, and in some cases I am sure that it was, being away from family and such. However, if Joseph would not have had faith in God it could have been a far worse experience for Him.

Even when Joseph was cast into prison on false accusations, people found Him as a pleasant and honorable man, and he was quickly given responsibilities within the prison.  While in the prison Joseph interpreted the dream of the Pharoah’s chief butler, and was sent to interpret the dream of the Pharaoh. Pharaoh immediately put Joseph in a position of power to make provisions to prepare for the famine that was foretold in Pharoah's dream.

One thing that I thought was very surprising was the way that Joseph easily forgave his brothers, who sold him into Egypt, for what they had done.  The scripture says that Joseph was gracious and forgiving toward his brothers:

“So shall ye say unto Joseph, Forgive, I pray thee now, the trespass of thy brethren, and their sin; for they did unto thee evil: and now, we pray thee, forgive the trespass of the servants of the God of thy father. And Joseph wept when they spake unto him.

And his brethren also went and fell down before his face; and they said, Behold, we be thy servants.
And Joseph said unto them, Fear not: for am I in the place of God?

But as for you, ye thought evil against me; but God meant it unto good, to bring to pass, as it is this day, to save much people alive.”

Joseph being sold into Egypt was a divine act by God, even though while in the process, it didn't seem so because it was done out of anger from His brothers. God had something good in store for Joseph and for Egypt.  In Genesis 45: 6-8 it talks about how God brought Joseph into Egypt for a reason:

For these two years hath the famine been in the land: and yet there are five years, in the which there shall neither be earing nor harvest.

And God sent me before you to preserve you a posterity in the earth, and to save your lives by a great deliverance.

So now it was not you that sent me hither, but God: and he hath made me a father to Pharaoh, and lord of all his house, and a ruler throughout all the land of Egypt.”

Joseph had the faith that God was letting him go through this trial of being sold by his brothers for a reason, and he was faithful to the Lord, and while being faithful He was blessed to know why He was sold into Egypt, and He was happy for the Lord's purpose in that happening.

The most important to me that I learned from Joseph’s story is that when we go through undesirable events in our lives, don’t lose faith, and have a positive attitude, you never know what the Lord has waiting for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment