Mormon.org Beta

Saturday, May 28, 2011

The Language of the Spirit

I have grown up speaking English, I have learned some Spanish, although I am not fluent I can say somethings, such as prayers and share my testimony of Jesus Christ. I recently went to an American Sign Language class here in the MTC, I have learned that these languages are very different, however when it come to teaching the Gospel they have something in common. No matter what language the gospel is taught in we can feel the spirit, and know that what is being said is true. take for example this scripture:




  "And now, after the many testimonies which have been given of him, this is the testimony, last of all, which we give of him: That he lives!

  For we saw him, even on the right hand of God; and we heard the voice bearing record that he is the Only Begotten of the Father—

   That by him, and through him, and of him, the worlds are and were created, and the inhabitants thereof are begotten sons and daughters unto God." D&C 76:22-24

I can feel the spirit every time I read this scripture. I have also read this scripture in Spanish. With the little Spanish that I know I am still able to feel of the same spirit that I feel when I read it in English. The Spirit of God is a language that everyone can understand if we can learn to listen to it. But how are we to recognize the Spirit? what does the Spirit sound like?

In the Scriptures we can look to the characteristics of the Spirit. In Moroni 7: 13, 16-27 it states:

  "But behold, that which is of God inviteth and enticeth to do good continually; wherefore, every thing which inviteth and enticeth to do good, and to love God, and to serve him, is inspired of God.
      

   For behold, the Spirit of Christ is given to every man, that he may know good from evil; wherefore, I show unto you the way to judge; for every thing which inviteth to do good, and to persuade to believe in Christ, is sent forth by the power and gift of Christ; wherefore ye may know with a perfect knowledge it is of God.
   But whatsoever thing persuadeth men to do evil, and believe not in Christ, and deny him, and serve not God, then ye may know with a perfect knowledge it is of the devil; for after this manner doth the devil work, for he persuadeth no man to do good, no, not one; neither do his angels; neither do they who subject themselves unto him."

We can also recognize the Spirit by things we feel such as, love, joy, peace, patience, meekness, gentleness, faith, and hope. I know that no matter who we are, or what language we speak we can feel of the influence of the Holy ghost in our lives, and that by it we can know that The Church Of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is Christ's Church on the earth today.

"Y ahora, después de los muchos testimonios que se han dado de él, éste es el testimonio, el último de todos, que nosotros damos de él: ¡Que vive!

  23 Porque lo vimos, sí, a la diestra de Dios; y oímos la voz testificar que él es el Unigénito del Padre;

  24 que por él, por medio de él y de él los mundos son y fueron creados, y sus habitantes son engendrados hijos e hijas para Dios." DyC 76:22-24


No comments:

Post a Comment